Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Tuesday Child, heard it years too late

I remember reading a very good review of the album 'Universal Playground' by the band Tuesday Child. But I never got round to investigating it, ignoring the comparisons to the band XTC (a favorite) and good reviews of their second album 'Vital Signs'.


It happens, sometimes you overlook something great. Often I get reminded by someone or an article but not this time. A few months ago I was online shopping for a cd and thought of what I could add to the cart to keep postage costs down, and then the name 'Tuesday Child' popped in my head. It turned out the second album was readily available at the shop (and still is, and cheap too). Of course after hearing this I went after the first album, which I found in a shop on ebay (again, cheap: shipping from the US to Europe was more expensive than the album itself).


The story of Tuesday Child is a very sad one. Everything was 'go' with the release of the first album but then band broke up and from reading the biography you get the feeling all goodwill was gone. After an expensive, shiny 'big studio' & 'mastered in Abbey Road' first album, the second one was more a home studio product (but you don't hear that) which has been on the shelf for a number of years before it got released on a small label (you only have to check the cd sleeves above to see that).

Despite their being so different, both albums are very good. 'Universal Playground' is exploding with great tunes (it even made number 72 in musicpaper OOR's yearlist for 1997). The second album is even better. Whatever the reason for breaking up, the bandleader Maurice 'Mouse' Bom was right. There are short sound clips here.

Eight years have gone by since 'Vital Signs' and sadly it looks like 'Mouse' has resigned to teaching and production jobs.

No comments: