I really shouldn't have travelled to work as there were warnings all over the news that there was going to be a big fat storm yesterday. But because I thought (like a lot of people) that it wouldn't be as big a deal as it was going to be I hopped on my bike towards the train station thinking to myself that there was almost no wind at all. Getting of the bus at work I understood the storm was picking up after all: using an umbrella was useless and a waste of the umbrella.
During the day there was more and more news about falling trees, cranes and of buildings losing bits and pieces. At about three o'clock (too late) I decided that it would be wise to try to get home if I wanted to get home today. The first part of the journey was an indication of things afoot: the bus had a flat tire at the first stop so I decided to walk a bit. After a few hundred meters I saw a bus from another line and quickly hopped on that one to take me to the train station. So far so good, but the crowd of people outside the Haarlem central station told me that there was no good news: and indeed no trains would be going anymore.
A quick decision was needed and as the prediction was that the wind would still be picking up at end of the day I decided on a bus as they were still in operation. Of course there was a ridiculously high number of people for the few busses that were just going their normal route (I never saw a sign of the NS having some sort of plan to utilise busses which is normal procedure if the trains are out of service). I was lucky to stand at the right place at the bus stop and get in the bus using the back door which is otherwise forbidden but the driver was okay with it. So we travelled packed like sardines and safely arrived at Beverwijk Station where we would be able to take the next normally scheduled bus to Alkmaar. At the station there was (as expected) still no sign of NS busses so we waited for the bus to Alkmaar, which arrived but the driver stopped his bus halfway the stop so that the last people to arrive were first in line to get in! This driver also took care to close the back door and to check everyone's tickets (in his words: "I don't drive for the NS"). Anyway, again I was lucky to get in and enjoy the touristic route this bus takes. When we got close to Heiloo I was even able to sit down until we reached Alkmaar station. At the last phase of this journey there was talk that trains would be resuming service after 18:00 hours but it seemed unlikely to me (I was proven right). There was a bus about to leave that would take me to Alkmaar Noord station and after a short and fast ride on my bike (with the wind in my back, making record time) I was, finally, home. All things considered the journey was still reasonably okay, looking at the news with people that got stranded at Amsterdam Central station.
1 comment:
And boy was I happy to see you last night ;-)
Post a Comment