Thursday, November 02, 2006

Update xubuntu from 6.06 to 6.10

This seems to be quite an adventure. It's lovely to play with on a laptop that's only used to play around with, I'm glad I don't really need it for work.
The Edgy Eft distribution (6.10) needs special treatment for the update that I found here.
I did that and apart from some annoying things (like a question that is asked after I thought finally I could go downstairs to whatch some tv) it probably went smoothly enough, although it took all evening to complete. That is, I think it was completed as I had only a desktop to look at with no activity so I switched it off for the night.
I quickly found out that the wireless stuff needs some more tweaking as something with the ndiswrapper package is changed or something like that. When starting up the Synaptic Package Manager I got an error message, luckily with the needed commandline (dpkg --configure -a). It looks like a lot of stuff needs to be configured first, or maybe it was not done yesterday because I shut down the laptop.
Okay, the package manager works after the configuration. After some searching I found this document that indicates I have to re-do some work, which turned out to be correct. What I did was:
- selected ndiswrapper-utils-1.8 in the package manager and install that
- sudo rm /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper (a shell script)
- sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-1.8 /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
- sudo modprobe ndiswrapper (wheee! success!!)
The wireless card is recognized and the NetworkManager Applet even asks for a keyring password to be saved. Of course I am scepical so I rebooted and waited for the loadndiswrapper error during boot... it did not appear! I also don't have to re-insert the card, however I do have to enter the network name and password (in fact I have to enter the password twice now, once for the applet and once for the keyring thinghy).

No comments: