Okay, back to the Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop. I found that although Xubuntu claims to be the Linux distribution for older hardware, the standard installer requires too much power. After reading on forums I found I probably needed to use the 'alternate' boot cd. And yes, that does the trick: the first menu option after startup is 'text mode installer' and that works like it should. Hey, if I want to install a system I have no need to wait 15 minutes until a desktop is loaded (in memory) that I won't be using for the install anyway (I do get the impression that installation takes a bit long in text mode, though). It's great to have an alternative but I'm a bit disappointed that the normal installer just 'hangs' instead of telling me I don't have enough memory.
I had to change the display setting to this:
sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
- Monitor section, change HorizSync to 36-52 and VertRefresh to 36-60.
- Screen section, added "1024x768" to all display subsections
I found the Linux on Toshiba Laptop site to be very useful for this.
No comments:
Post a Comment